That this House regrets the failure of the Government to list the present perils of the Afghanistan situation in its bland, self-deluding September statement; notes that it ignores the increased level of green on blue attacks, the deepening corruption of the Karzai regime, the early withdrawal of troops by the UK’s allies in Canada, the Netherlands and New Zealand, the increased power of the Taliban which is collecting taxes and running courts in large parts of the country, the failure to curb the narcotic trade and the cost and difficulties of withdrawal; and believes that Parliament is insulted and demeaned by incompetent propaganda and echoes the end of the First World War when our soldier lions were led by political donkeys.
- Tragedies mock Government optimism (paulflynnmp.typepad.com)
- Paul Flynn brings war deaths to Commons (morningstaronline.co.uk)
- Military plans possible early Afghan withdrawal (guardian.co.uk)
- Afghanistan’s best and worst case scenarios (bbc.co.uk)
- 8 green-on-blue killings sweep Afghanistan over weekend (rt.com)